Gianicolense - Monteverde
Gianicolense is located in the XII ° district in Rome, and is commonly called “Monteverde.” This neighbourhood is rich in history. Close to the ancient city, was built the Orti di Cesare, as well as numerous places of pagan culture and some Jewish and Cristian catacombs, among which include the Ponsiano and San Pancrazio, found beneath the ancient San Pancrazio Basilica.
In ancient times, it was crossed by the actual Via di Monteverde, which diverged from Via Portuense. Today, its initial stretch is recognized as Via Parini, and Via Vitellia, which in ancient times connected Gianicolo with the Tyrrhenian coast. During the 1600’s, from the fusion of different vinyards, the neighbourhood of Villa Doria Pamphili was created. Today it is one of the largest public parks in Rome, within which is the Casino (house) planned by Alessandro Algardi, which was expropriated and then opened to the public in 1972. The area of Villa Pamphili park, together with Vascello and Porta San Pancrazio, was theatre to the ferocious battle which took place in 1849 in defence of Rome’s Republic.
With the regulatory “historical city” plan in 1909, in the area closest to the enclosing Janiculum Hill wall, the first urban expansion of Monteverde Vecchio began (Via Carini and Piazza Rosolino Pilo,) which was characterized by elegant small houses and private gardens. Low income housing construction then followed during the Fascist period. Nicknamed “gratticielli” (skyscrapers) in the valley, they lead from Via di Donna Olimpia (at one time occupied by the Tiradiavoli excavation) up until Ponte Bianco, (the railroad structure built in the 1920’s, ) and the Littorio hospital, today called San Camillo, as well as small buildings on the other elevation of Monteverde Nuova, centered around Piazza San Giovanni di Dio. Only during WWII did the construction of the Colli Portuensi area begin, together with the opening of the same -named street as part of Via Olimpica. The vast clearing under the Ponte Bianco bridge, was the setting in “Il Ferrobedò,” the first chapter of Pier Paolo Pasolini’s famous novel, RAGAZZI DI VITA, in which the bridge is often cited as both a functional and symbolic presence.